BBQs and summer gatherings can be rough for those that are trying to eat a cleaner diet. When possible I like to bring an appetizer, side dish, or dessert with me, that I can eat confident that I won’t regret it later. Which pretty much means I’m always the lame-o walking in with the veggies…it’s okay, I’ve accepted the eye rolls.
BUT, this summer I have a dessert you can bring that is perfect for the summer season…no eye rolls included.
Fruit pizza is a classic. I mean sugar cookie with icing and fruit, which means we can tell ourselves it’s healthy (amiright)? Who doesn’t want that? Well this treat has a sugar cookie crust that is free from refined sugar, and topped with a dairy free coconut cream frosting. Load up your favorite fruit on top and you have a super tasty and clean sweet for everyone!
- 1 1/2 cups Paleo baking flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut or maple sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 ghee, softened
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
Coconut Cream Icing
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1-2 TBSP pure maple syrup, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sliced fruit of choice, blueberries, strawberries, and kiwi work great! Bananas, raspberries, oranges and pineapples would be some other ideas.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a pizza pan or round baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl mix the honey, sugar, ghee, almond, vanilla, and egg until well combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until mixed and a dough forms.
- Roll out the dough into 1/4″-1/2″ crust. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let crust cool on the pan for about 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Allow to cool all the way.
- Mix icing ingredients together with a stand mixer or electric mixer until a firm icing is formed. Spread evenly on the crust.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve!
Not just for a BBQ or large gathering. I kept my leftovers in the refrigerator for almost a week and while it got a little softer it was still very good. I actually preferred it with the softer cookie crust.
So be the dessert hero at your next summer party and let me know what you think!
DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products I recommend. If you purchase those products through my link I earn a small commission. You will not pay more when buying through my link. I only recommend products that I love and use myself. Plus, when you order through my link it helps support my site! ?
You can read my full disclaimer here.