Stories For My Son
Originally published in July 2014
Today I’m continuing my journey of documenting stories about me to share with my son. I’m following topics that were provided by www.babymakingmachine.com. You can find a list of previous topics and posts at the bottom of this page.
List 10 things you would tell your sixteen year old self, if you could.
1. Don’t be so dramatic.
2. Acting or dressing different, just for the sake of being different, doesn’t make you truly different.
3. Slow down! Being an over achiever is great, until you burn out by 18.
4. Pay more attention when you’re behind the wheel of a car. I was lucky to not have accidents, but didn’t really respect how dangerous being in a car can be.
5. Spend more time developing friendships than relationships. The friends are still a part of my life, the boys are not.
6. Spend more time with your parents.
7. Sleep less and during normal times!
8. Accept your body (I also tell this to my 12 year old self, 21 year old self, 30 year old self, and now).
9. Speak up more in class.
10. Don’t force yourself into deciding what it is you want to do after graduation at such a young age. Pick a college, but then be open to letting life lead you where it may.